Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Mike's last day of Law School...

Today was a celebration for our family. Mike took his "final" final exam this afternoon. He has worked very hard the past 8 semesters and has officially completed Law School. He has cleaned out his locker and all that is left is to walk the stage and receive his diploma May 23rd. If we look back to Aug of 2005 when he began this journey it was a very different picture.

Mike was adjusting to the lay off at American Airlines and was settling in to his job with the law firm. He looked ahead and saw to really get ahead would take a degree in law. He put one foot in front of the other and we focused on one 13 week semester at a time. When we discussed the future of our family and the needs in the present we weighed the pros and cons. Mike asked me for 4 years of firm support and we decided to proceed together. I was worried, about the workload and ability to balance a full time job with higher education. I was 37 weeks pregnant with Gabe when he started his first day of class. I was worried about being able to personally handle and homeschool four children with a very overloaded husband. It wasn't all rosey and sweet. I had my meltdown moments and at times Mike was easily irritated by toys on the floor and dished piled in the sink. We also endured 3 very difficult pregnancies (2 ending in miscarriage) during this season. And don't forget for Shelby's pregnancy I was on bedrest from 16 weeks till I delivered her. Talk about stress.

We have really persevered as a family. Mike's accomplishment swells up pride in my heart for his determination, and it also brings me joy for our family unity. Mike and I have claimed several scriptures from the book of James in the past few years. This is one that is especially dear to me today:
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-4

It is hard to consider it pure joy when you are going through it, but I promise you when you are on the other side...it is PURE JOY!

Mike's Dad and Brother bought him a new riding lawnmower for a Graduation present!

Good thing too, because our old one blew out the transmission on Sunday!
Mike was excited that he was able to cut the entire 2.3 acres in 1 hour 45 minutes (half the time of our old mower)!


No comments:

Post a Comment