Friday, August 23, 2013

Waiting on The Lord

I was almost packed up for the hospital yesterday.  The surgical nurse called and reviewed my case, history and prep instructions.  I hung up the phone and went back to planning my last day before phase 2 of spinal fusion surgery.  Less than an hour later the phone rings again, this time from my surgeon's assistant who said, "Shelli, I am so sorry, but we have to postpone your surgery.  Dr. Dewald has two patients in the hospital who need emergency surgery."  I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  My mom flew in yesterday, I reminded her!  My husband has two jobs and has scheduled this time completely off, I complained.  My in laws are all gone to Europe next month, I need their help I gasped.  "We know and are very very sorry, but there is nothing we can do."  

I hung up the phone in disbelief.  It took me a few hours to absorb the change in plan.  I remembered Proverbs 3:5, "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;". I asked God to help me live this verse.  I was reminded that He guides and directs our path.  This dramatic change in events didn't surprise or shock God.  He knew it was coming.  

Once I stopped trying to figure it out or make sense of it, I felt my heart soften and I started feeling thankful that I wasn't the one who needed emergency surgery.  I started thinking about the families that needed my surgeon's expertise and how blessed they are to have him in an emergency.  I realized how selfish my initial gut reaction was and began to feel embarrassed at my reasoning.  I'm not the center of the universe after all!  

I learned yesterday that if I'm left to my own thinking I will become selfish, confused, disappointed and easily shaken.  If I choose to submit to His authority I will have a heart of praise, gratitude, kindness and peace when my world is turned upside down.  

So now I will sit here and wait on The Lord to give me a new date.  I will lean on Him and trust His plan.  I will bless Him and remember "ALL THINGS God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I needed to hear those words this morning. Thanks for being faithful and typing them in your blog. God used you to speak to me this morning and countless others I'm sure.
    I'll be praying for your future surgery date.

    ReplyDelete