Monday, May 4, 2009

Devotional- "It's no Secret"

"God, save me by Your name... For strangers rise up against me... They have no regard for God." PSALM 54:1, 3
The more disillusioned we are with the world, the more motivated we will be to pursue the Christian way. If we are not willing to face the reality that we live in a fallen world, that the latest invention is not going to bring us Utopia, that possessions fail to give any lasting happiness, then we are not going to move along the rugged road of faith with a steady tread.
My favorite word to summarize the message of this, the first of the Songs of Ascents, is renunciation. The psalmist seems to have made a decision to move away from the lies he has heard, and we too must make a similar decision. We must renounce lies such as that human beings are basically good, we are not responsible for the way we are, we can find happiness independently of God.
The truth of God does not begin to dawn upon us until we realize that what we have assumed was the truth - that we are the masters of our fate - is in fact a lie. It is painful to admit that we have been taken in by the world's lies, but until we accept that we have and confess it, we are not ready to move on into all that God has for us.
If the psalmist were writing today, he might have worded his prayer like this: "Save me, O Lord, from the lies of those who think they know the answer to life but don't."We must discover that before we can say "yes" to God we must first learn to say "no" to the world.

Daily Prayer:
Father, I would make the prayer of the psalmist my prayer also. Rescue me from those who would represent the world to me in terms that are not entirely true. I turn from the untrue to the True. Help me dear Lord. In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment