Tuesday, April 24, 2012

An honest look at a day in the life of a Homeschool Mom of 7

I Woke up yesterday morning and although I had 9 hrs of sleep, I still didn't want to get out of bed.  I finally did with a jolt when I heard one of the babies being picked up by one of the younger siblings.  We ate breakfast, straightened up the house and I as I was putting books back into the bookcase one of them caught my eye.  It was a book on the Trail of Tears.  I had been meaning to  read it to the kids for a while now.  I figured today would be a good day. 

I usually start our 'school' when the babies are taking their nap, but today I decided to go out on the deck with EVERYONE and read the 32 page book.  The babies were happy to join me, but Gabe wouldn't come out.  Shelby wouldn't get out of the play tunnel and just laid there like a stuffed burrito.  David sat next to me being the good child, he could tell I was having a bad morning.  We stopped once to get everyone a pair of sunglasses, once to get everyone a drink, then we stopped to look at a few clouds.....I felt like I was on the verge of tears.  I am pretty strong willed (yes, me ;) so I refused to retreat.  Gabe finally joined us at page 22 and continued to complain the rest of the story that I wouldn't start over. 
We did have some positive moments, though.  We talked about what it would feel like to come home and find out your house was given away in a lottery and you were now homeless.  I pointed out to the children how the Cherokee people were being attacked for their land.  We talked about the Ten Commandments and how the Early American Settlers were breaking several like: do not lie, do not steal, do not covet your neighbor's house or stuff, and do not murder.  I shared with the kids the route of the Trail of Tears and how one of the trails went past my birth town, Cape Girardeau, MO.  I told them how my parents would take us to the National park when we were children and my daddy showed me a Cherokee Princesses burial stone.  I started to feel nostalgic so we put away the usual subjects and brought out the laptop. 
We started by printing maps, coloring pages, tepee patterns and naturally that was a springboard to our Cherokee village diorama, construction paper headdresses and a milk carton covered wagon. I should have stopped there. 
Everyone was happy, but I decided Gabe needed to practice a reading book which cost us 90 minutes of tears, headaches and finally calling Daddy at work for back up.   We were about to leave to drop Briana off at her Monday night babysitting job when she got a text saying they needed to cancel.  We continued driving and on the way to hockey practice Gabe told me he was sorry.  He said he realized that he wasted time fighting with me and that he could have used it to play. Hmmm....maybe I am getting through. 

We arrived to the rink on time and after I tied Gabe's skates and Daddy came through the door I waved a quick goodbye to go back home.  I was beat.....but somehow my 15 year old talked me into Buffalo Wild Wings.  We sat there laughing at the wing eating contest and had a great time, just the two of us.  On our way home she said, "Mom, I am glad I didn't have to babysit tonight after all."  Hmmmm......I think that might have been a compliment.

I received a phone call from Lindsey during my hot wing dinner.  She sounded frustrated with Shelby who was refusing to listen.  When we arrived home we saw the 4 year old ball of strong will (Shelby) and after many failed attempts to behave, sent her to bed without dinner.  Daddy arrived home shortly from practice, and we sat down to do our family devotional. 

It was on repentance........ 
Shelby was screaming she was sorry in her room.......

Daddy showed mercy and let her join us for the devotional.  He let her know that after the devotional she had to go straight back to bed.  She agreed and sat on the couch next to me happy and ready to cuddle.  When we finished the devotional and asked her to please go to bed, she responded by screaming for another 35 minutes.

We determined she was not very repentant.....

We shut her door and turned up the Hawk's game.  When they lost it in the third period we turned off the TV and sat in silence........wow....I really was beat!  Good night!

I woke up this morning refreshed and ready for another day.  Why do I give you so many details?  Well, partly because I wanted to share the ups and downs in an ordinary day in my life.   I am not super woman, I am not perfect, my kids are not perfect and my house needs a little TLC, but I love them, all of them!!! 

This is where I usually end the blog in a profound thought or Scripture.....how about.....

"This is the day the Lord has made, 
let us be glad and rejoice in it!!!"  Psalm 118:24

1 comment:

  1. I love all the details in this post. Do more posts about what your days are like. I often wonder how in the world you manage 7 children and homeschool too, so this was an informative and fun read!

    ReplyDelete