Thursday, January 12, 2012

Unplug 2 Connect.......

 Recently our church held a Sacred Assembly.  It was a powerful day full of worship, reflection and prayer.  One of the events of the day was the reading of the Book of Mark.   As I heard the words spoken out loud something kept standing out to me......Jesus went alone....to a solitary place.....he withdrew.

During that day I had several different people come to me and ask for prayer to help them connect with God, find more time to be still, or just plain hear Him better.  I was thinking to myself  as I ended with "Amens" hopefully God understand that meant for me as well, because I need it just as much as the next person.  We all struggle with balancing the demands of life and our spiritual life.  If you don't then you are better than Jesus!  I mean that, seriously.  Let me prove it to you the best way I know how, with Scripture:

Mark 1:35, Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.

Mark 6:30-31,  The apostles gathered around Jesus and reported to him all they had done and taught.  Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, "Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.”

Mark 6:46, After leaving them, he went up on a mountainside to pray.

Matthew 5:1, Now when he saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down.

Matthew 13:1-2, That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat by the lake.  Such large crowds gathered around him that he got into a boat and sat in it, while all the people stood on the shore.

Matthew 14:13, When Jesus heard what had happened (beheading of John the Baptist), he withdrew by boat privately to a solitary place. Hearing of this, the crowds followed him on foot from the towns.

Matthew 14:22-23,  Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd.  After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone.

Matthew 26:36, Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.”

Luke 5:16,  But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.

Luke 9:18, Once when Jesus was praying in private and his disciples were with him, he asked them, “Who do the crowds say I am?”

I have to say that I am very blessed by these verses.  Especially Mark 6 where it says Jesus was in such demand they didn't even have time to eat!  The other day I was doing schoolwork with the children, cooking lunch, prepping dinner, cleaning the house, taking care of the babies and answering the other 5 kids demands.  The hours just flew by and before I knew it, it was time to load up in the car for hockey practice.  I ran out the door with my lunch in my hand that I had never had the time to sit down and eat.  I was so thankful I had a teenager to drive so I could eat my salad at 5:30pm in the car!!!!

I'd like to suggest based on these Scriptures that Jesus knew a thing or two about how to connect with the Father.  He withdrew, went off, alone, by himself, or left to pray.  Jesus didn't have the electronic revolution to deal with like we do now, but I know if he did his behavior would be the same, for he is the same yesterday, today and forever. (And it would still be exactly what we need!!!)  UNPLUG to connect, that is what he would demonstrate and say.  "Come with me to a quite place and find rest."

What this will look like for you will be as different as your circumstances, but the answer will still be UNPLUG to connect.  Whether you are a child growing in the ways of the Lord, UNPLUG to connect.  If you are a teenager in the throws of hormones and friendships, UNPLUG to connect.  If you are a young adult trying to find your way and callings, UNPLUG to connect.  Maybe you are a new mother trying to adjust to the needs of your bundle of joy or a seasoned mother managing the brood, UNPLUG to connect.  If you're days are coming and going as fast as the commuter train, UNPLUG to connect.  If you are an empty nester enjoying the freedom and enjoying the fruits of your labor, UNPLUG to connect.  No matter the season we are in, the answer is still the same....."Life comes with distractions and time fillers sooooooo.......UNPLUG to connect"!

God calls us to an intimate, undistracted time of personal relationship (however long you are able He will bless.)  His desire is just to BE with you and you with Him.  Jesus demonstrated it so we could learn the simple truth that when we UNPLUG we will connect.

No comments:

Post a Comment