Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The 'Mystery' squash...

It was a quiet morning.  Babies were up and then back down before the other 5 woke up.  I had about an hour to myself to sit on the deck with my cup of coffee alone with God.  I treasure these moments. 


The wind was still, my world calm and my mind open.  Today as I sat and stared at the garden a very interesting thought popped into my head.  I looked at the half of the garden being taken up by plants that we didn't plant.  We have been watching them for a while now; trying to figure out what they are, and hoping it is something good.  As I stared at the 'mystery plant' it was like the Lord was teaching me that even though something is pretty, or strong, has potential or might be worth keeping that doesn't always mean we should keep it.  By letting something grow with the 'hope' that it will be good or that we might need it someday isn't exactly taking control of the garden.  We should only hold onto what we KNOW to be good.  We must plant seeds intentionally and calculate the benefits versus the costs to make the best use of our resources.  We need to be on the defense and ready to pull out weeds or remove things that compete with what is truly good fruit.


So how does this translate to my life or yours?  Well just as every garden is different this will look different as well.  For me it means I need to declutter the basement, turn off the TV, read good books that help me be a better parent, and spend more time in prayer than on the phone with friends.  It means organizing a home that functions better and requires less attention so I can pour that precious time back into my kids and husband. 


What does it mean for you?  Can you relate?


(oh and I did a quick search on the Internet and it appears that it is a 'mystery squash'.  It has over a hundred blooms on it and considering I am the only one that eats squash if we leave it what in the world would I do with 100 squash????)  http://www.veggiegardeningtips.com/mystery-squash-a-backyard-garden-favorite/


1 Corinthians 10:23  “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but not everything is constructive.
 
Matthew 13:23,  "But the seed falling on good soil refers to someone who hears the word and understands it. This is the one who produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown."


Luke 8:14-16, "The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life’s worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature.  But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop."

No comments:

Post a Comment