Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Shelby's Splinter


I am never ceased to be amazed at my children and God's ability to teach me daily lessons through them! The weather has finally warmed up here in NW Illinois and my kids (thanks to their mama's Southern blood) love to run around shoeless! Inevitably that provides the perfect opportunity for splinters to embed in their little feet and hands.

Shelby has a splinter and has been walking around on her tip toe for a week now. Every time I go near it she screams and pulls her foot behind her. She wants to show it to me, she likes to complain about it, she tells everyone she meets about it, lets me put on a Dora band aid, but when it comes time to help her remove it she refuses to let me near. I could force her to let me take it out. I thought about enlisting a large sibling to hold her tight while I dig it out, but I decided to wait and see what happens. Everyday I build a little more trust and tell her I want to help her. Everyday I soak her in the tub hoping to loosen and soften the skin around it. And then I wait.....

So do YOU have a splinter like Shelby? Something you are carrying or tiptoeing around? A hurt that you feel each time you take a step. Do you have a pain you are sharing with your family or friends, but every time someone tries to get close or help you retreat? God wants to help you, but He won't force you. He is patiently waiting, watching you soak, building your trust, and is ready to remove the source of your pain and heal you. Don't wait until it is infected and oozing, let Him near and let the healing begin.

Gotta go, Shelby is ready to get out of the tub. Maybe today is the day!

"He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds." Psalm 147:3

No comments:

Post a Comment