Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Standing up to Babylon and against the "god of pop"

This summer I am hosting a Bible study in my home on the book of Daniel. It has been the BEST study I have ever done, personally, and the ladies that are coming are wonderful. We call it "Souper Thursday", because each week we have a different homemade soup before we begin. The fellowship and bonds that we are forming are beautiful, and the prayer support we give each other like no other, but the best part of all is the Word of God made alive for each one of us.

As a Homeschool Mom standing up to our culture is a natural instinct, but this takes it to a whole new level! We are looking at the World, specifically America, with a whole new lens. The recent Michael Jackson hoopla is a wonderful example of modern day Babylonian thinking. The Babylonian creed was and still is, "I am, and there is no other." At his memorial service yesterday it was said that the loss of MJ is so great, and the mourning so profound, that we need for him to comfort us. How can a deceased man comfort you? Only God can do that and by making MJ a god the lie of false fulfillment is produced.

On Dateline afterwards a psychologist who studies the death and impact of celebrities declared just that when she said, "Michael Jackson is no longer the King of Pop, he is now the god of Pop." I, like most of the world, enjoyed and listened to MJ growing up. My brother called me yesterday and asked me if I still had his poster on my wall, because it was selling for $300 on ebay :) I am not against paying tribute to an awesome entertainer. But Michael Jackson is not a god and does not deserve to be worshiped. He was a man living in the same fallen world as you and I. He was a man needing a Savior. There is but ONE TRUE GOD, and I pray Michael knew HIM.

"But the LORD is the true God; he is the living God, the eternal King. When he is angry, the earth trembles; the nations cannot endure his wrath. Tell them this: 'These gods, who did not make the heavens and the earth, will perish from the earth and from under the heavens.' But God made the earth by his power; he founded the world by his wisdom and stretched out the heavens by his understanding. " Jeremiah 10:10-12

No comments:

Post a Comment