Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Finding Freedom in the Rocking Chair.

Tonight was one of those nights! Actually the last week has just been one of those weeks. It all started with Lindsey being sick. Every one's schedule has gotten off and several snow days in a row hasn't helped realign the train that has been derailed at our house! Tonight I was letting the kids stay up to see Daddy who was coming home late due to iced roads. By the time he got home the slap happy gene kicked in and we had kids bouncing off the walls.

I finally convinced Shelby that it was bedtime and she followed me with jello legs and alligator arms. I put on her jammies and set her in my lap for our routine cuddle in the rocking chair. She refused to lay her head on my chest and every time she lifted it up to talk to me I stopped rocking her. Look up, no rocking, rocking....she'd looked up....I'd stop...start....stop....start...stop....it went on and on without a word being spoken. Finally, I started laughing because it was so silly. The only rocking that was really going on was Shelby's head going up and down. I never spoke. but just stopped rocking her (which is her favorite thing at bedtime). She finally decided to rest in my arms after a bit of sweet strong will. She snuggled in and closed her eyes and is now fast asleep for the night.

As I was holding her I thought about what true security and freedom really are. We have a need to know that we are safe and sound before peace can settle into our hearts ushering in much needed rest. Many times the only way we feel secure is by testing the boundaries making sure, for sure, for really-really sure that they will not change.

That is a picture of security. Being able to count on something over and over, knowing that it will not change. When we feel secure we are truly free. Freedom does not exist in a world without boundaries. Freedom exists somewhere between wild abandon and you can't do anything at all. Both ends of that spectrum make you a slave to the world or selfishness. Freedom, truly being free, comes by nestling in the Lord's arms and finding peaceful rest.

"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him." Psalm 62:1

4 comments:

  1. Maybe one day I will be safe for real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot begin to say the profound effect this story has for me. It is all I have been looking for my entire life- Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am amazed that encapsulated my entire life's search into 1 story. That was all I ever wanted from my mother and in truth I need that from God. Thank you- for your amazing wisdom!

    ReplyDelete